Here are some more ways to save that you may not have thought of.
· Start a budget, stick to it: This may seem like an obvious tip on how to save, but it’s something that not a ton of people do. Just keeping track of where your money is going has a tendency to help you realize a lot of areas that you can save.
· Wash your own car: Instead of going to the car wash and spending between $15-30 every time you go, wash your own car!
· Do your own maintenance: If you’re handy with all things automotive, change your own oil to save on a trip to the service station. Maintain your own home appliances with help from the internet!
· Stop a bad habit: Are you a smoker? Quit! It’s better for your health and will save a ton of money. Drink lots of soda? Stop! Drink more water instead.
· Don’t pay for extras: Renting a car? Don’t pay for the extra insurance if your own insurance covers it. Going on a flight? Don’t pay for first class, but try to get an exit row with extra leg room instead.
· Save by reducing your taxable income: Take advantage of deductions, make deductible contributions to retirement accounts or increase amount sent to flexible spending or health savings accounts.
This list is just the beginning. Saving money can really become a way of life if you want it to be. You just have to be creative, have a reason and a goal for why you’re trying to save, and think consciously about the decisions that you’re making.